Clip chicken toe nails?

nlsf

In the Brooder
Feb 19, 2017
I have this one chicken that has always been "special". I have never had any clue what is wrong with her but she's been this way since I got her as a chick. She doesn't walk very much and lays down to eat. She's a year old and gets along just fine with the rest of my chickens, lays eggs just likes to lay down a lot. Now I've noticed her toe nails or claws are a lot longer then the rest of the chickens and her toes are starting to turn because of that. Do I trim them or just leave them? Her feet are in the pictures below.
[/IMG][/IMG]

If she has troubles walking than she won't wear her own nails down and will need routine trimming. I use a dog nail clipped. Get some kwikstop, or corn starch in case you bleed them. Try to trim them up to the point of the vein which will look solid. If they bleed press you powder onto the nail for a second it should stop the bleeding.

No photos of the break showed up, which can also need trimming and filing to a point if it grows too much.

If she has troubles walking than she won't wear her own nails down and will need routine trimming. I use a dog nail clipped. Get some kwikstop, or corn starch in case you bleed them. Try to trim them up to the point of the vein which will look solid. If they bleed press you powder onto the nail for a second it should stop the bleeding.

No photos of the break showed up, which can also need trimming and filing to a point if it grows too much.

Do you trim them the same as a dog or cat?

Back
Top Bottom