Clip one wing or both?? For small chicken

chloeveale

Hatching
Aug 23, 2020
Hi all,
I have 4 larger breeds that i’ve had since the beginning of the year and one Friesian who i got yesterday. 2 of the larger breeds are clipped (came like that) and 2 of them aren’t, one can jump the fence but it doesn’t go far so that’s okay. My problem is with the friesian, she jumped the fence with her friend at the place she lived before here which meant her friend got killed by the neighbours dog and she had her tail feathers ripped out. Last night she jumped my 5ft electric fence and went to roost in a bush so I caught her and put her in with the others. She has one wing clipped. Should I clip the other one? Or should I shut her in the enclosed run until she settles?

OMG. I solve all of my fence-jumping problems with a top to the fence, either more fence, or poultry netting. I have had chickens for over 20 years and have never clipped anyone's wings.

But, I do know something about clipping wings. You want to clip just the one, because that prevents them from flying except in a circle.

I am glad you posted this to us. There are a lot of ways to prevent losing your Friesian and other fence-jumpers, and I hope I am not the only one who responds!

OMG. I solve all of my fence-jumping problems with a top to the fence, either more fence, or poultry netting. I have had chickens for over 20 years and have never clipped anyone's wings.

But, I do know something about clipping wings. You want to clip just the one, because that prevents them from flying except in a circle.

I am glad you posted this to us. There are a lot of ways to prevent losing your Friesian and other fence-jumpers, and I hope I am not the only one who responds!

Hi, thanks for your reply!
I’m not sure how I’d add a top to the fence as it is one of those wire electric ones for chickens. I’m not sure how to got out as previous owner already clipped her right wing. They have 3 enclosures. 1 is their shed and small enclosed run (Fits a 4x6 shed in), 2 is their electric fenced which has a hedge behind and stock fencing though I’m sure she’d fit through it! and 3 is the other half of their area which is fenced with wire fencing and a wooden fence which she wouldn’t be able to get over. I can’t have her getting out as if she got through the stock fencing she’d be loose in my horse paddocks 😂
I can include some photos if you would like :) I could fence behind the electric fence with the taller one.

How high is the fence? A determined fence jumper can easily clear a 4-foot fence with one wing clipped, or even with both wings clipped, in my experience. You can certainly TRY clipping both wings, but no guarantees that will stop her. You might need to confine her better for a while, or otherwise improve your defenses until she "forgets" that she could fly. Or check to see if she is indeed flying out and not sneaking under or getting out some other way. (Voice of experience here. We have a jail breaker here, both wings clipped, have not located her path of escape yet! Wonder if she is climbing the chain link fence like Spider Man, one claw foot at a time! Surely not.... 🤔)

How high is the fence? A determined fence jumper can easily clear a 4-foot fence with one wing clipped, or even with both wings clipped, in my experience. You can certainly TRY clipping both wings, but no guarantees that will stop her. You might need to confine her better for a while, or otherwise improve your defenses until she "forgets" that she could fly. Or check to see if she is indeed flying out and not sneaking under or getting out some other way. (Voice of experience here. We have a jail breaker here, both wings clipped, have not located her path of escape yet! Wonder if she is climbing the chain link fence like Spider Man, one claw foot at a time! Surely not.... 🤔)
The fence is 5ft and electric, so I’m guessing she flew over as it’s pegged to the floor and she did keep walking into it and shocking herself 🤦🏻‍♀️ She can stay in the enclosed run, it’s wood chipped so she has plenty to keep her busy it’s just my girls are wanting to go in to lay so I’m checking every 10 minutes letting them in and out, which I don’t mind! She doesn’t want to be with the flock and previous owner said she wouldn’t settle after her friend died and his fences weren’t high enough so she came here as I have more space for them.

Some chickens are very good at escaping!

We have resorted to full-coverage cages for our flock: four foot by six (or eight) foot by four foot cages made of 1 inch by 1 inch welded wire fencing.
This in our experience works well to keep chickens in.
However, in my experience, this fencing alone will _not_ keep out mice, voles, or snakes; weasels and raccoons and opossums will still be able to reach through to damage birds and eggs up to six inches from the fence; and foxes, coyotes, hawks, and bobcats can still terrorize birds if they don't also have some visual cover.

Let's face it, humans are not the only ones who like the taste of chicken!

Some chickens are very good at escaping!

We have resorted to full-coverage cages for our flock: four foot by six (or eight) foot by four foot cages made of 1 inch by 1 inch welded wire fencing.
This in our experience works well to keep chickens in.
However, in my experience, this fencing alone will _not_ keep out mice, voles, or snakes; weasels and raccoons and opossums will still be able to reach through to damage birds and eggs up to six inches from the fence; and foxes, coyotes, hawks, and bobcats can still terrorize birds if they don't also have some visual cover.

Let's face it, humans are not the only ones who like the taste of chicken!
Luckily I’m in the U.K. so we don’t have any of those problems! Enclosed run is meshed so nothing can get in there. Foxes haven’t tried yet, no badgers here, just the red kites and buzzards but they’re not interested as my runs are under trees :) I have let her out with the others now so will see how she’s getting out

Back
Top Bottom