Cliping Chickens Claws/Nails

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AimsChickies, Nov 13, 2008.

1. AimsChickies

AimsChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    SW Florida
    Is it ok to clip your chickens nails? I was thinking about it seeing as i have scratches all over my arms. Would you use a dog nail clipper?

2. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    I was wondering the same thing....I have a bantam who's nails are getting pretty long....good question...

3. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    Yes, clip your chickens nails if they don't have access to sand or dirt to scratch the ends off. Same principal as a dog . Be careful to not clip too far back. They have a "Quick" area just like a dog or horse. If you clip into the "Quick" area it will bleed and make their feet tender. Use finger nail clippers or dog nail clippers and VIOLA! No more scratches on your arms![​IMG]

4. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Before clipping your critters nails, you really should have some styptic powder (below is a definition of what it is/used for). I am not sure if you can find it in the mens shaving section at your local stores.

Styptic powder is an antiseptic clotting agent that is most often used in pet grooming. Much like a styptic pencil, which is made of alum, styptic powder stops bleeding by contracting the blood vessels. Most pet groomers and veterinarians keep styptic powder on hand. Styptic powder is most often used on dogs, cats, and birds and is a good product for pet owners to keep on hand as well.

PS- DH has been known to dip into it too!

5. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    We bought that pedipaw thing for my dogs. Wow it was horrible! Dog still had a fit and it wasn't powerful enough to do the job on my big dog. So my daughter took it out to the coop and did all her silkie's nails. Worked like a charm! I even went later and filed down our older roos spurs. Sure was a lot easier than clipping the chicken's nails. Need to try it on the guinea pigs now. [​IMG]

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    CountryMom that is good to know...I was going to get one for the coop, the cats and my taco bell beast. LOL

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by