Clipped wing, can they still get to higher outdoor sitting bars?

Ridgerunner

Crossing the Road
12 Years
Feb 2, 2009
Southeast Louisiana
If yes, how high approximately? I can lower the bars.
I've never clipped wings, I've never seen the need, so I don't have any experience with that. You'll see a lot of different opinions and controversies on how effective it is or how to do it. Do you clip one wing or two? Which feathers do you clip? How effective is it? In my opinion you get different opinions because different people see different results even when they do the same thing. My thoughts about that is not what they "can" do with wings clipped, but how badly do they want to do something. If they really really want to do something they often can. If they don't want to do it they won't try, even if they can.

Also, is it still a roosting bar if it is outdoors and not for sleeping? haha
You can call it what you want to. Some people will understand you, some will be confused. Some will be irritated because you don't call it what they want you to call it. If you look up the definitions of roost and perch you'll see a lot of overlap. A lot depends on which of those different possible definitions you use. To me a perch is where they play during the day and a roost is where they sleep at night, but others don't see it that way. They are as right as I am. There are a lot of things in the chicken world that the definition depends on who is using it and it may mean something different to others. Try to be flexible and not let it bother you.

The fence is 5ft high
My electric netting is 4' high, not 5' like yours. It keeps the chickens contained, for the most part. I'll get to that. Mine can easily fly up to my 5' high roosts so they could easily fly out of that area if they want to, but they don't. It's not that they can't fly out, it's that they don't want to.

When I have a lot of cockerels going through puberty in that enclosure, I occasionally find one outside. When they get in their fights, one gets trapped against the fence and can't get away, so it goes vertical. Sometimes it lands outside of the netting. I've seen that happen. On very rare occasions I may find a hen outside. I have not seen this but I think she was trying to get away from an amorous rooster or, more likely, one of those cockerels. By going vertical I don't necessarily mean fly. They can pretty much walk up a fence by flapping their wings to maintain balance, even without flying. If they really want to they can do a lot.

I've learned a couple of things with my electric netting since it is so easily movable. Stay away from sharp corners. A 90 degree corner seems to be OK but if I build it much sharper than that the number of cockerels getting out goes way up. One time I configured it with a long narrow corridor. Three cockerels got out that day so I reconfigured it so it was wide. That practically stopped the cockerels from escaping. So think open spaces and flat corners.

Something else that often happens is that chickens like to perch during the day. They like to fly up and look around. Who knows which side they might hop down on. If the top of your fence or fence posts give them a good landing spot they may fly up there just because it's fun. If the top of your fence is flimsy wire or netting, they are unlikely to fly up there. So what does the top of your fence loo like? Is it a solid rail that makes a good perch or is it something uninviting?

So again, to me it's not about whether they can or can't, its about whether they want to.

Trishkabob

Songster
10 Years
Oct 30, 2010
Schuylerville, NY
clipping is cruel and it is our responsibility to make a safe place for them rather than mutilate them (wings, beaks, etc.)
SO glad you are going to go a different route. Bravo.

Top Bottom