Clipped wings, still flies

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SometimesCraftr, May 23, 2019.

1. SometimesCraftr

SometimesCraftr Chirping

Jun 25, 2013
    SW Washington State
    We are trying to corral the chickens in the barnyard for the summer so they leave our garden (and the neighbors) alone. Last night we clipped one of the roosters wings and this morning he hopped flew over the 5' fence like it was no big deal. The hens all followed (but we haven't clipped their wings yet since they just follow him). It's too big an area to net over the top, are there any other suggestions on what I can do to stop his flying out? We just clipped the one side, so being off balance doesn't bother him at all.

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I would trim both wings... and clip more feathers

SometimesCraftr likes this.
  3. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    Lol. Ya I have leghorns and that clipping one wing doesn't even slow them down going over 6' fencing.
    I clip both and short.

SometimesCraftr likes this.
  4. SometimesCraftr

SometimesCraftr Chirping

Jun 25, 2013
    SW Washington State
    He's a big one like leghorns, so I think that is why he can still get over. I guess we'll try both wings. I thought we got the one wing as short as we can, but i'll take a look again. The idiot wont stay out of the fields, so he's going to be coyote food if he can't keep to the barnyard.

5. Fairview01

Fairview01 Songster

Jan 26, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    Taller fence

6. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    Could work but clipping the other wing seems quicker, cheaper and less work.

Alaskan likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: