Clipping 8-week-olds Wings?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by koakritters, May 15, 2011.

1. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    Is it safe to clip wings at this age? I've clipped wings before, just never this young, My little escape artists need to learn to stay inside... They live in a campground that's full of cars, RVs, dogs... and the occasional fox. I've been leaving them in their old dog crate overnight when i'm not around, but they are getting too big for that now, and I hate to have them cooped up instead of running in their pen. - it's a 12x24 ft run converted from goats to chickens- no top on it so they can fly right out. my older chickens have leaned to stay in, but these little ones love to explore!

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Definitaly. I clipped my chicks wings when they were about 6-7 weeks.

3. arodnlys

arodnlys Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Is it necessary to get them clipped? Or is this for free range chickens? We plan on keeping ours in a coop. Sorry Newb question, still getting used to all of this. [​IMG]

4. lisa_anne

lisa_anne Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2009
    Quote:Same question here, actually. Ours will be in an enclosed run, but my husband dreams of one day letting them run in the yard with the dogs. I told him he could work on that, but the dogs were never to be left with the chickens alone. Anyways, we have a four foot chain link fence in the front yard, no privacy fence. I bet they will be able to get up there once they are full grown, no?

5. mszekely

mszekely Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Vermilion, OH
    Could you possibly put a chicken wire cover over the coop? Might cost too many $$ though compared to a little clip.

6. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Your chickens will most likely fly over the 4 foot fence that you have. So I would recommend clipping the wings. It isn't really necessary to cut the wings on a chicken with an inclosed run. But if you let your chickens free-range I would recommend clipping their wings. [​IMG]

7. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    sunny & the 5 egg layers :

Your chickens will most likely fly over the 4 foot fence that you have. So I would recommend clipping the wings. It isn't really necessary to cut the wings on a chicken with an inclosed run. But if you let your chickens free-range I would recommend clipping their wings. [​IMG]

Really? I would NOT recommend clipping their wings if they free range. That is their only mode of defense against predators and they NEED to be able to get away FAST if necessary. That's like sticking a declawed cat outside which is also a definite no-no.

Your chickens will not run away, but if they are kept in a 4' high run without a top (which should have a roof to prevent predators from getting in anyway) you will want to clip them.​

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Giving the wing feathers a haircut is pretty simple. Chickens, some chickens, can fly up and roost on a 6 foot fence with ease!!! See photo. Yup, that's a six foot fence.
    Decisions, decisions, decisions. Do you want them to fly for protection? Do you not want them to fly to escape over a low fence? Do you not want them to fly so as to access your garden?

[​IMG]

9. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    I clip wings when they are moved from the brooder to the grow-out coop. Experience has taught me that young chickens can easily go ove the 4 ft fun fence.

10. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    My chickens will be to fat to fly very far ~ so I see no hope of them reaching my 6ft high fence! [​IMG] What kind of chickens do you have? That is a difficult choice, you don't want them flying out of your yard but you do want them to be able to escape any predators. What is the chance of you adding height to your fence??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by