1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Clipping and still jumping?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MonkeyZero, Nov 29, 2007.

1. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Hi

I clipped my chkns wings so they wont fly, but they jump on the 2-3 ft coop and jump on the fence and go down. How do I stop them? THey fence is 4 ft high. They jump, fly. Is there a special way to clip. I followed omlet.com or something like that way to clip. It wont work. How? Sooner or later my dogs are gonna get them when they are out. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Even with wings clipped most chickens can easily clear 4 ft - it's not much harder than a high jump with a little flapping for lift and over they go.

You'll have to cover the run to keep them in.

3. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    Quote:Did you clip one wing or two? You only clip 1 wing. If they can "jump" 3', they might be part kangaroo..........

4. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    i cant cover it, its gonna be soooo hard. i doubt we can do it.

5. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    If you know your dogs will kill your chickens, you have several choices.
    Confine the dogs.
    Confine the chickens
    Cover the pen
    Get rid of the dogs
    Get rid of the chickens.

Ultimately the responsibility is yours to protect your animals.

6. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I covered my 4' fence with arcs made out of PVC pipe, then covered that with deer netting.

I saw my campine yesterday run full tilt and take a flying leap and easily would have cleared the fence - and that's with hardly even opening her wings.

There are many people on this list who have clipped wings (only one) and their chickens can still go over 4'.

7. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    oh duh, i can just do this by putting a tarp! yay:)

8. lexustami

lexustami Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    St. Clairsville, OH
    I clipped my chickens wings and they still easily made it over a 6 foot fence. We decided to cover the run. Now I don't have to worry about the neighbors dogs eating my chickens for lunch.

Take care,

Tami

9. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    Quote:You clipped one wing and they can still fly/jump over a 6' fence? I use to clip game hens and they couldn't fly over a 3' fence. I wonder how deep you are clipping the one wing. Clip both wings and they can still fly. The idea behind one wing clipped is it messes up their balance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by