Clipping Birds

Krazy

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 30, 2007
California
How do you clip a bird so that it will not fly. I have 25 bobwhites and I don't want them to fly away
smile.png
I want to let them run around in the coop instead of the cage.

Hi Krazy,

The best way to clip a birds wings is to only clip one side and stick to that for your whole flock so you don't get confused!

If you clip both sides it will make it harder for them to fly, but they will still be able to. However if you clip one side, it will make "take-off" so uneven that actual flying is almost impossible.

Also don't clip the wing too much/too far up or it will bleed and be very painful and distressing for the bird, so just clip the end flight feathers.

I would also recommend being shown by a local person the first time to get the technique right.

I used to clip my chickens wings, but I don't anymore for the same reasons that justusnak pointed out - being able to escape from predators.

I hope this helps you out?

There will be no predators around my house. I have gate fences. Electric fences and and had seen a fox that never came back that touched the fence
smile.png
I was watching the whole thing.

@Offspring
Thanks for all the information but I don't know what the thing called to clip there wings. I hear that you can also cut 7-10 of there feathers and not make them fly.

Quote:
I just used to use a pair of heavy duty scissors to just trim the ends of the feathers off.

Just to be sure I would trim all of the longer flight feathers on one side to stop them from flying.

The best way to do this is to carefully stretch one wing out and trim 2-3 inches of the end.

But as I said previously make sure you don't trim too much or it will bleed and be very distressing for the chicken.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Here's a good look at how to do it:

http://www.omlet.co.uk/guide/guide.php?view=Chickens&cat=Chicken Care&sub=wing clipping

But let me dispel a few "truths," if I may...

The best way to do this is to carefully stretch one wing out and trim 2-3 inches of the end.

It will take more than that. You must trim the primary flight feathers, of which there about ten. Take off just a few inches from the end of the wing and you can watch your birds fly right off.

There will be no predators around my house. I have gate fences. Electric fences and and had seen a fox that never came back that touched the fence I was watching the whole thing.

There are always predators around - everything wants to eat chickens. That fox, or it's kits, didn't go far. Neither has the local rampant dog, wild cats and whatever else is lurking about.

The best way to clip a birds wings is to only clip one side.
If you clip both sides it will make it harder for them to fly, but they will still be able to. However if you clip one side, it will make "take-off" so uneven that actual flying is almost impossible.

Don't rely on this one, either. The theory is sound and in large part it works. But chickens are adaptable and somehow manage to fly even with only one wing functioning. I've watched them do it.
Oh they dont go far, to be sure, but often it's enough to clear that fence... over to where the fox is waiting.

You have to ensure they CANNOT fly. Half way measures are just that. I say do both wings fully.​

Quote:
I've also read posts on here that if you clip both wings they learn to compensate and can still fly??

Not sure the best way.

Also, how young can you trim them, and how often is typical?

TIA,
Susan

Flight is reliant on surface area. Cutting both sets of primary feathers PROPERLY reduces that more than just one wing. Elderoo is correct on saying do both. Parrots are far more capable flyers and doing both effectively grounds them or severly reduces their lift. Doing one only slows them down. They compensate quickly with just one.

Try both, each breed and bird is different. It is only MY experience that single wing clipping leaves something to be desired.
Oh, and you'll know when their wings need trimming when you start to see them lifting off and leaping around by their wings. Then its time to clip.

Back
Top Bottom