Clipping chickens toe nails

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by redneck farmer, Mar 5, 2013.

1. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Just the very very tips.. There sharper then daggers them little buggers toes

2. WildBilly

WildBilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2013
    trim with what kind of clippers, i never knew i had to do this? im knew to chickies and heard about this but never considered it.[​IMG]

3. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

It can be useful if the nails have grown too long and are affecting scratching ability, walking, roosting, etc. You can trim with dog toenail clippers, and it's the same basic concept, only trim the tips, keep an eye out for the "quick" so you don't trim too close and cause bleeding. Just know that after clipping they may even be sharper, but I guess you could always file them down [​IMG]

4. redneck farmer

Oh of course. I wasn't goin to clip there nails close to the main part of the nails at all I was just goin to do the very tip.. But you r right they could get sharper but they ain't gonna hold still for filing of the nails

5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    You don't need to clip chickens' toenails unless they have a problem, like one nail grown so long it's stopping them from scratching, or a rooster causing damage to a hen during mating. In fact, please don't clip your chickens' nails unless there's a clear reason to do so--they NEED those toenails to scratch for bugs.

6. redneck farmer

They ain't free range

7. redneck farmer

But ok I will deal with the scratches on my arm

8. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I still think it's like cutting a cat's whiskers, but you could always wrap them in a towel with their feet sticking out and use a nail file (or a Dremel, or sandpaper) to blunt the tips.

9. AnimalCrazed

AnimalCrazed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Idaho
    I have only one chicken out of my 6 that ever NEEDS her nails trimed, she is a barred rock and hers grow fast, to the point they start to curl. so I try to just clip them when they get hard for to scratch around the yard with. Just be careful of that quick cause even when you nick it, it will bleed forever.

10. holyshihtzu

holyshihtzu Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2012
    can you use styptic powder on a chicken, I know you can for a parrot, just in case you have a bleeder?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by