Clipping Chickens Wings

Karen711

Chirping
Oct 11, 2015
Sechelt, B.C.
I have my girls in a fixed completely enclosed run but would like to let them out into a fenced area in the yard when I'm out there but I am worried bout them flying over the portable fence then over the 4' chain link fence around my yard. Do many of you get their wings clipped?? I can't do it too scared so guess the vet??? Oh gawd
1f629.png

Theres really no need to go to the vet. It isn't a hard process at all. I clip my chickens wings once or twice a year and it takes me about 10 mins to do the whole flock. You will need another person to help you though. Basically just hold the chicken under your arm and have the other person grab hold of one of the wings to spread the feathers. Then cut a few inches of the first 10 primary flight feathers off. Then do that to the other wing. The feathers will grow back after they molt so you will have to do this every once in a while.

Last edited:
I have my girls in a fixed completely enclosed run but would like to let them out into a fenced area in the yard when I'm out there but I am worried bout them flying over the portable fence then over the 4' chain link fence around my yard. Do many of you get their wings clipped?? I can't do it too scared so guess the vet??? Oh gawd
1f629.png

What breed of chickens do you have? Depending, they may or may not be able to get over a four foot chain link fence. We have covered runs but then we have an acre fenced in with a 4.5 foot lined split rail fence. The dual purpose birds stay inside. The bantams, California greys, some of the mixes and Ameraucanas can fly over but the rest can't/ don't. We usually leave the gate open so those that fly over either fly back or use the gate.

What breed of chickens do you have?  Depending, they may or may not be able to get over a four foot chain link fence.  We have covered runs but then we have an acre fenced in with a 4.5 foot lined split rail fence.  The dual purpose birds stay inside.  The bantams, California greys, some of the mixes and Ameraucanas can fly over but the rest can't/ don't.  We usually leave the gate open so those that fly over either fly back or use the gate.

Hello
I have a Black Austrolorp, a Speckaled Sussex, a Barred Rock, two Silver Laced Whyondotts & two Golden Buff Orpintons. They can take flight in their enclosed run so really makes me wonder. I guess when I let them out first few times I will have couple people here with me just in case lol

My run is about 4 ft high. If you clip the feathers on one wing of each bird it will help. Make sure there is no blood in the shaft of the feather before you clip or your bird may bleed to death. On some birds you may even have to clip a few secondary flight feathers. One wing throws the bird off balance and is more effective than trimming equal amounts off both wings. Feather shafts containing blood. Thank you so much n the picture helps too :)

We actually looked at you tube. We cut only one side as well. They didn't fly over but we ended up covering the run with netting due to a nice big hawk. Attempting to visit out girls .

Back
Top Bottom