Clipping Chickens Wings

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Karen711, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Karen711

Karen711 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2015
    Sechelt, B.C.
    I have my girls in a fixed completely enclosed run but would like to let them out into a fenced area in the yard when I'm out there but I am worried bout them flying over the portable fence then over the 4' chain link fence around my yard. Do many of you get their wings clipped?? I can't do it too scared so guess the vet??? Oh gawd [​IMG]

2. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    Theres really no need to go to the vet. It isn't a hard process at all. I clip my chickens wings once or twice a year and it takes me about 10 mins to do the whole flock. You will need another person to help you though. Basically just hold the chicken under your arm and have the other person grab hold of one of the wings to spread the feathers. Then cut a few inches of the first 10 primary flight feathers off. Then do that to the other wing. The feathers will grow back after they molt so you will have to do this every once in a while.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  3. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Quote:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  4. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    What breed of chickens do you have? Depending, they may or may not be able to get over a four foot chain link fence. We have covered runs but then we have an acre fenced in with a 4.5 foot lined split rail fence. The dual purpose birds stay inside. The bantams, California greys, some of the mixes and Ameraucanas can fly over but the rest can't/ don't. We usually leave the gate open so those that fly over either fly back or use the gate.

5. Karen711

Oct 11, 2015
    Sechelt, B.C.

Hello
    I have a Black Austrolorp, a Speckaled Sussex, a Barred Rock, two Silver Laced Whyondotts & two Golden Buff Orpintons. They can take flight in their enclosed run so really makes me wonder. I guess when I let them out first few times I will have couple people here with me just in case lol

6. Karen711

Oct 11, 2015
    Sechelt, B.C.

7. lisa Razmyar

lisa Razmyar Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2016
    Charlotte
    We actually looked at you tube. We cut only one side as well. They didn't fly over but we ended up covering the run with netting due to a nice big hawk. Attempting to visit out girls .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by