Clipping Guinea wings

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Jollyjuls, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Jollyjuls

Jollyjuls New Egg

Apr 14, 2011
    Hickory Withe, TN
    Has anyone ever clipped their guinea's wings? I am a first time "mom" of fowl and I have three guineas that are close to being able to free range. They love to fly in their pen and we have lots of wooded area on our property, so I am concerned they will fly into a tree and not want to come back to the coop. Any ideas or suggestions are welcomed! Thanks.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    letting them fly is a risk u take because sometimes they rather roost in the trees but if u clip their wings and let them free range they are so to speak,sitting ducks for anything with a taste for some dark meat. feed them only in their coop in the evenings and they should come home to roost. if u still decide to clip their wings u spread their wing out and cut half of their primary (first 4 big ones) off just below the second set of feathers on both sides. some times they can still manage to fly up to a tree and this needs to be done after every molt. ps. they love white millet and when u shake the container and they learn whats in it, they will come to u every time

1 person likes this.
  3. Jollyjuls

Jollyjuls New Egg

Apr 14, 2011
    Hickory Withe, TN
    GH...thank you so much for your response. I will give that a try first and hopefully it won't be an issue. White millet has officially been added to my shopping list! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by