1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Clipping guineas wings

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by pearlGuinea, Oct 25, 2016.

1. pearlGuinea

pearlGuinea Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2016
    Arkansas
    Does anyone clip their guineas wings and for what reason? Do you use regular scissors or special wing clippers? I have been deciding wether or not to clip my guineas wings. They had been roosting in trees and not in the coop, and I just throught clipping their wing would put a stop to that, but I like to watch my guineas fly. I just wanted to see what others thought about it.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. ludwing

ludwing Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2013
    SOUTH AFRICA
    well clipping a wing is quite not a good idea sometimes as that its the risk of their lives to any predator. from their wildness they survive by running fast then take a powerful flight followed by a short glid to take cover.

if your guineas dont see the world that much you can clip their wings as that you wont have to worry about them bieng chased by something. any thing from regular scissor can be, no problem on that

4. GlennLee

GlennLee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2016
    Central New York
    I didn't have mine clipped - being the Jumbo French, they prefer to hop than fly, but the new ones "regular pearls" I added love to get up on roof tops. I haven't clipped their wings and probably won't. The main reason is predators. I do know some do clip if predators aren't a major issue and it works for them. Personal decision based on your needs. It could be an issue if you can't get them in the coop at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by