Clipping Muscovy Claws

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Do any of you guys ever clip your Muscovies claws? Lately I have noticed that my oldest boy, Sidney's, claws have been looking awfully long. They're probably almost 1.5" now. They don't seem to be bothering him and they're still in good shape but don't they just look crazy long???

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  2. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Songster

Jul 1, 2009
    Snakeman and I have been wondering the same thing. Our drake has toenails just like yours. They dont seem to bother him at all, but I'm also wondering if we should clip them a little. Will be curious to see what people say here.

3. neener92

neener92 Songster

Aug 30, 2009
    I have been wondering the same thing! Hope someone has an answer!

4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Sid's are getting so big that they're starting to make his huge feet look small. I hope someone can answer this. if not, I guess i will just have to trim them and see how he does [​IMG]

5. chicksbestfriend

chicksbestfriend Songster

Jul 12, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Yes, you can trim their claws. But will most likely take two people to do it unless your Muscovy is super tame, and even that it difficult to accomplish with only one person. You trim their claws the same way you would trim the nails on a dog. Only cut the tip part that is curling under, if you take it down any further than that, you can cut into their quik, which could cause both infection and bleeding. Not a fun task, but would rather clip the claws on a duck than trim the hoof on my pig anyday. Good luck!

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Mine are the same way and I wish that I could clip them.

7. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Well I went out and clipped Sidney's feet this morning. He's easy to catch and i just picked him right up and situated him under my arm and put his feet across my forearm... I think he knew something was up though because BOY was he SMELLY this morning.... big brat smelled like he went and rolled in every pile of crap on the farm!! [​IMG] He was unsure of the shiny clippers and fussed a little at the pressure but did fine. I think i will probably have to clip them some more after a week or so, they're still really long. One of his outser toenails was nearly curved all the way around, i really had to watch for the quik in that one, i definitely didn't wanna make him bleed or give him an open 'wound' on his toe.

Just a Warning! Watch out for the clippings while you're clipping, those suckers are HARD and fly off like bullets!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    Good job with the clipping.

I hope I won't need to do this task too soon. My three muscovies were hen raised and not too friendly. I got one to grab peas out of my hand yesterday because one of the call ducks was eating some.

I hope they tame up as they get older and trust that I'm the giver of food, treats, and fresh water.

9. duckluv

duckluv Crowing

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    [​IMG] Ha!

10. sydney13

sydney13 Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    ive had to trim one of my hens claws before. before i got her she lived her whole life in a cage so the were very over grown. i just clipped then with regular nail clippers and they never grew too long again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by