clipping muscovy's nails

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by showjumper_girl2002, Jun 21, 2011.

1. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    i'm a new mom to four muscovy ducklings. had them since 2 or 3 days old and they love being cuddled and pet. I've heard when they grow up their nails are very sharp so i was wondering if and when i should start getting them used to me clipping their nails? they are gonna be my pets so i wanna be able to handle them without getting scratched to heck lol

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I didn't think one should? [​IMG] i mean they use them as defence and climbing/roosting. I cannot imagine when fully grown being able to keep them still enough to do so, and i cut a whole bunch of nails here.. rabbits, cats, dogs and parrots..

3. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Interesting question. I don't clip mine and my oldest holds them even. I'm with Going Quackers for defense since my guys are to big to get off the ground if they wanted too LOL but I wonder if anyone does?

4. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Mine are indoor ducks so yes i clip their nails. i started at about a month an a half old when they were getting really sharp. I used a nail file never clippers so i would not hurt them and they would just lay in my lap and be completly calm. Now i have 2 conures and i have a friend who trims beaks, nails, and wings and when she does my birds she will also do my ducks cause she has like on of those electric file things like they use on dogs with the sand paper in them. just like filing but faster lol. good luck

5. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    cool [​IMG] i'm planning on having them inside with me a lot too so i'm glad to hear someone else does too!

6. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Quote:You mean like a dremel? yeah we have one we have to do the macaws break. I can understand doing them if they were indoors. Mine are not nor will ever be..

7. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    I wonder how my adults will hande it now LOL

8. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Quote:You mean like a dremel? yeah we have one we have to do the macaws break. I can understand doing them if they were indoors. Mine are not nor will ever be..

I guess that is what it would be called. I dont know. All i know is its designed for birds cause its smaller. I have never used one only my nail file lol. I will have to see what it is the next time she comes to take care of them. Its her own bussiness so she has a bunch of things i have never seen before.

9. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada

I guess that is what it would be called. I dont know. All i know is its designed for birds cause its smaller. I have never used one only my nail file lol. I will have to see what it is the next time she comes to take care of them. Its her own bussiness so she has a bunch of things i have never seen before.

They make attachments plus there are some designed for pets only but it's basically a dremel lol

10. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Quote:Oh heck i wouldn't try it on my 7 week olds.. no plans on being swiss cheese [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by