Clipping nails ~ rabbits

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by huntercf, Aug 26, 2010.

1. huntercf

huntercf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    What is the best way to trim rabbit nails? Would one of those pedi machine (as seen on tv) for dogs and cats work well for rabbits or should I clip them and if so how far back without hurting them.

2. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Dog trimmers work well. Have someone else hold the rabbit still and just take little snips at a time and work your way down, watching for the quick. When in doubt, take off less and do it a second time later. If you don't hurt them they will let you do it again better.

3. huntercf

huntercf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Quote:Much appreciated.

4. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    I use a pair of claw clippers designed for use in cats or other small animals. I'd post a picture, but the camera batteries are dead! The clippers are about 3 inches total length, with the jaws only about 1/2 an inch long (I found them in the cat department of Petsmart). Such small clippers make it easier to see what I'm doing, so there is less chance of going too far by mistake. They also fit the rabbit's foot better, so I don't risk twisting a toe and hurting the rabbit that way while getting the job done.

If the rabbit's claws are light colored, it is fairly easy to see where the "quick" is. Darker claws are harder to see, but with a really bright light, you should be able to "candle" the claw and see where the quick ends. As a general rule of thumb, the place where it dramatically tapers or curves downward sharply is usually safe to cut.

5. boxermom

boxermom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    How often should you clip them? The breeder that I got my buck from said he uses side cutters, but didn't really say how often.

6. RabbitMage

RabbitMage Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    I usually trim nails when I pick up a rabbit and hold them, and the rabbit feels more pointy than it should.

7. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    i trim them as needed. i used to use the regular dog nail clippers u squeeze and a single blade pushes up to cut it but it is a pain cuz when the thing clips it kinda skips and alot of times it breaks the nail(both my pairs like this do the same stupid thing). i just got a new pair at walmart for 4.88 think it was. they r more like small sissors and have 2 blades that come together so it's just like useing sissors way more easier to use and definately better on their nails it cuts through with no breakage, nice clean cuts.

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I found dog nail clippers waaaay too big but I do have mini rex. Even the cat ones were questionable and I ended up using human finger nail clippers which is also suggested for guinea pigs and other small rodents.

9. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I was out feeding the rabbits this morning and I noticed that their nails are really long. I searched this site and found this thread. I will try to clip with dog clippers. Although I think I may need some help. Thanks for the suggestions.

10. bobwhitelover

bobwhitelover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    SOmerset
    Dog trimmers work best [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by