Clipping nails?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ladyblackswan, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Ladyblackswan

Ladyblackswan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2012
    I've been reading a bunch of directions on how to keep a healthy flock and was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a tutorial on how to clip nails and or beaks (I am still not sure under what circumstances one would clip a beak...) and when the correct time to do this is? Thank you!
    Jennifer

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    If your flock is out scratching then most of the time they will not need their nails clipped often or at all but there are some exceptions. My silkie, for example does not really scratch around so her nails get pretty long, especially her back nail - it will start to curl and I don't want it to get out of hand.

Have you ever clipped a dogs nails?

It is the exact same thing. I use dog nail clippers. There is a quick inside the nail just like a dog so you want to just cut a little at a time. If you cut at an angle it makes it easier to see where the quick is. It will bleed if you hit it but they will be fine. Just use Kwick Stop or baking soda to help stop the bleeding.

Have never dealt with the beak so not sure on that one.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  3. Ladyblackswan

Ladyblackswan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2012
    Thanks! I can do that! I do my dogs all the time. My little girls spend a lot of time outside scratching, so maybe I won't need to do it at all. :)

4. mistyt14

mistyt14 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2012
    good to know on the nails! Mine have a few extra long ones. They have a piece of wood in their house they have been using to sharpen up their beeks

5. bantaclear

bantaclear Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    High River
    What about spurs? Has anyone done any of those?

6. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    My chickens forage and use those nails to advantage. My rooster has pronounced spurs, but I don't see any reason to trim them.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by