1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Clipping one wing didn't work so....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by katelk, Nov 15, 2014.

1. katelk

katelk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN
    I have some chickens who are constantly fence jumping. I already sought advice on here. I tried some additions to the fence and each time, after a day or so, they would find a new way to fly over. Finally, I decided that whoever got caught outside the fence was getting a wing clipped before going back in. I have clipped one wing on 4 birds. 2 of these birds are STILL getting over the fence.
    Question is, if clipping one wing didn't work, will clipping both be more likely to work?

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    First, show a picture of outstreteched wings you clipped.

In my experience clipping two clipped wings is better than one when birds employ clambering to scale fence or other near vertical surfaces. I actually took time to compare approach to avoid assumptions about restored symmetry overriding loss of thrust / lift. Not even my games can go verticall more than 18" without assistance from wings.

3. katelk

katelk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN

So it would definitely be better to clip both wings on the 2 that are still escaping?
    This is the exact pic I followed to clip their wings :

[​IMG]

I have seen other diagrams that clip more feathers or start the top feather at a diff angle. Is this a proper diagram to use?

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Diagram is good. Problem you can run into is not cutting feathers close enough to their base, hence my request for images of wings you actually clipped. Avoid cutting secondaries as they are also important for protecting body from cold /wet.

Clipping both you will see further reduces their ability to clear fence.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by