Clipping talons

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by The Hen, Dec 22, 2012.

1. The Hen

The Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

The talons on Mario our new rooster are quite long. I can't believe he digs them into the ladies and they put up with it. Can they be clipped, filed or anything? [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They can be clipped with a pair of dog nail clippers or filed. Frequently large and clumsy roosters gash the sides and backs of hens while mating them.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

x2
    I use dog nail trimmers to cut chicken nails. Just be sure to have some blood stop powder (or flour or cornstarch- not sure about those as I haven't used them???) on hand.

I know the blood stop powder works well, since I have used it for another reason.

Only trim the very very end of the nail, then come back and do it again in a week. The quick will recede if you do it slowly. If you cut into the quick he will bleed. Use blood stop powder if this happens.

4. The Hen

is it like clipping dogs nails where i would need to be careful not to get down to the quick (sp) or can i go down as far as i like?

Thanks for the info.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

LOL we were typing at the same time.

http://www.avianweb.com/nailclipping.html
    here is one link for birds- it is pretty good

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  6. The Hen

Just read your post after i posted mine. Thanks, i will be trying that.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Just as with a dog, there is a quick. In a light nailed rooster, it will be visible. In a dark nailed rooster as ChickensAreSweet suggested, trim back gradually - bit by bit over a period of time.

8. The Hen

Thank you both for the info. Home for the next 2 weeks on a stacation so will be trying it.

9. The Hen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by