clipping the wings of 2 new pullets?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 534EBC, Apr 1, 2017.

1. 534EBC

534EBC Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2015
    Virginia
    Today I've just purchased two 12-13 week old Plymouth Rock hens, to add to my small flock. They are exploring, flying around, perching on fence boards and getting out of their enclosure. Yikes... been chasing chickens all day it feels like! I'm thinking of clipping the left primary flight wings of these 2 new birds tonight, so that they can better acclimate to their "assigned" space safely. I have a coop (where I securely latch them up each night); but allow them to free range in a fenced area all day (this is what they're getting out of today). My "senior" girls don't fly & aren't interested in getting out. I'll be out of town all day tomorrow and fear the babies will be gone when I return. My hope is I can do it just the one time and then they'll be bigger, heavier and disinterested in escaping. I've never done it before but have watched videos and read articles. Does this sound like an okay thing to do? We do have dogs, predators, and a lot of area for them to get lost... if they don't stay where I want them to. Advice?

2. Messica

Messica Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2016
    Minnesota
    If you're going to be gone I'd just leave them in the coop until you return. All of mine stay in the coop when I'm gone (and they don't fly) for safety sake.

3. 534EBC

Apr 9, 2015
    Virginia
    My coop is rather small- perfect for overnight, but the birds are happiest when they can roam their fenced paddock during the day. Unfortunately I cannot keep watch all the time. Have you ever clipped wings?

4. Messica

Messica Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2016
    Minnesota
    None of mine fly so I haven't had to clip wings. I hope someone who has comes along and can guide you though soon!

5. 534EBC

Apr 9, 2015
    Virginia
    Thanks for communicating with me. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by