Clipping the Wings

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shogun99, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Shogun99

Shogun99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Las Cruces, NM
    Hello I have about 25 chicks and they're about 3 weeks old and they've begun to take "flight". I'm not too worried about that now, but when do I need to start clipping their wings? The pen that they will eventually be in will have about a 4 foot fence around it. Will that be sufficient or should I build higher AND clip their wings?

Suggestions? Comments?

2. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Depends on what type of chicken it is - I have some old english game bantams that have clipped wings (they came to me that way) and they still fly up to the perch in the coop (which is easily 5 foot above their heads).

With heavier breeds it might be easier to keep them down to more ground level.

Peace -
    Meriah

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have my free range area fenced in with a 4' fence. Once in a great while one will fly out but rarely. I feed them inside their range area and also give them their treats in their range area. Also they have a pretty good size dust bathing area in their area too. I have a ladder for them in their covered run, which their free range area is attached to. I had some milk crates in their area. The birds were getting on top and then flying over the fence. I took the milk crates out. I have RIR's which are fairly heavy birds.

4. Shogun99

Shogun99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Las Cruces, NM
    Mine are heavies too, but I may have one or two bantams...don't know about the goldies. What I was worried about is them flying the coop (literally).

Do I need to clip thier wings though and if so, when do I do that? When I transfer them from the brooder box to the coop living area?

5. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    if they wanna fly over they will and sometimes clipping wings doesnt even help. We had a few that liked to fly into the neighbors yard and that was a 6+ foot fence and they had one wing clipped. But none of our bigger girls have ever flown over.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:How old are they?

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I moved mine out of the brooder and into their coop. I put the brooder cage into the coop when they were a month old. Here is a picture.

[​IMG]

8. jmeeter88

jmeeter88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    New Hartford, NY
    Quote:What do you have under your roost?

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop

Wire

10. jmeeter88

jmeeter88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    New Hartford, NY

Wire

And underneath that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by