1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Clipping wings- why just one wing?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by neVar, Jun 23, 2011.

1. neVar

neVar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Dundurn, Sask
    I have parrots- have for years. We always clip BOTH wings so the bird is balanced and has the same resistance/feel on both sides.

So why only ONE wing for chickens?

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    If you trim both wings, they can still get enough lift to fly over a fence. When you clip one wing, they just fly up and around (kind of like a circle) and can't make it over the fence.

3. neVar

neVar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Dundurn, Sask
    makes sense.

4. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Although, my banty can still fly many yards w/ one wing clipped.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I think clipping of one wing alone gives you 90% of flight reduction that clipping two wings will do. As a kid, I would clip one wing resulting in greatly reduced flight capacity. Clipping other wing reduced flight capacity a just a little more. So one wing clipped means only half the work but most of benefits.

6. Aria

Aria Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Quote:I don't know. But always clipped one Wing for Call Ducks. This kept them off balance and they were unable to fly. Aria

7. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:Many people do clip only one wing on the smaller parrots like cockatiels. But both wings is better for the reason you stated. We don't care about that with chickens though, we just want them to stay the heck home hehe.

8. SJUDD

SJUDD Chillin' With My Peeps

On that note, how does one clip the wing? I have a 3 month old who scared me this morning by flying on top of the coop and I was worried she would fly down into the neighbors yard and get eaten by their dogs. When do you clip, how, and does it matter which wing?

9. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

10. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:Many people do clip only one wing on the smaller parrots like cockatiels. But both wings is better for the reason you stated. We don't care about that with chickens though, we just want them to stay the heck home hehe.

[​IMG]

so true! Stay the heck home chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by