Clipping wings.

churchx3

Songster
9 Years
Mar 30, 2010
Georgia
Last night one of my 12 week old EE's flew up 9 feet on to the top of my shed and my did she seem proud! If I clip one wing will she still be able to get up on the roost in the coop at night?

Short answer is yes, But that depends on the height of the roost and how much you clip. I would clip a few inches off the primary feathers (first ten feathers) on one wing only. A good estimate would be to about the same length as the secondary feathers (remaining feathers). Chickens use mostly leg muscles to jump rather than fly to their coop roosts. It shouldn't be a problem.

I have not ever clipped my chickens wings, but I read somewhere that they recommend clipping both wings so the chickens still have the balance when they try to land and not hurting themselves.

Andy

Is there a reason you don't want her on the roof of the coop?

She's very unlikely to actually fly away from you forever, ours fly up trees or on top of the house (9 metres and generally they do the 9 metres vertically then go horizontally onto the apex) or over the pond which is about 30 metres. They are not flying around all the time but obviously they do feel the urge now and then.

I think the clipping should only be the one wing, it DOES make them unbalanced and therefore unable to fly. Both wings clipped can still be used for flight, like during a moult or a juvenile would, it's the unbalancing that prevents flight not the lack of lift generating surface area, which chickens have an abundance of.

I am concerned with her flying up on the roof because if she would decide to fly out of the run into the yard there would be a large yellow lab just waiting to welcome her...

Back
Top Bottom