Clipping Wings

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JustMarie, Jul 17, 2010.

1. JustMarie

JustMarie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2010
    NE Georgia
    My girls have found a new game, jumping over my 5ft fence into my neighbors yard. I've had to go over and get them 3 times. I don't want to keep them in a pen and i'm scared they might get into the road or worse a dog might get them. So i'm thinking about maybe wing clipping. I googled wing clipping and a few said 10 and then another said 20 feathers,[​IMG] then one said just to clip wing and another said to clip both wings. So i have came here hoping i can get a straight answer or if anyone has any better ideas, then please let me know.

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
  3. thefishery

thefishery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    My girls were going over the fence when we weren't free ranging. I clipped their wings and they got out anyhow. They couldn't get back in after getting out and they got mauled by a dog [​IMG]

I'd say try another option. Maybe get some tarps to put over the top of the run for now and then come up with another, better top enclosure.

4. JustMarie

Jun 20, 2010
    NE Georgia
    Theres no way i could hurt them by doing this right? They have a pen that they go into at night, i'm talking about the 5ft fence around my whole yard, it's like they have ate all the bugs and now their bored or something.

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

It's just that the "grass is greener on the other side of the fence" [​IMG]
    I clipped my birds' wings. I cut ALL the long flight feathers, and on both sides, because they still escaped when I only did one side. Your results may vary of course.
    If the bird is young and constantly growing new feathers, you will have to re-clip them every week or so. Once the hen is mature, you will only have to clip them when they molt.

I recommend doing it at night and snatching them off the roost to make it easier on both of you.

6. PureFluff

PureFluff Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2010
    Otis, ORE
    Five feet isn't very high, so I'm not really surprised. I'm wondering if there's a way you could extend it using lattice or something.

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:My fences are 5ft, and we don't have much trouble with escapees once the wings are clipped.

8. JustMarie

Jun 20, 2010
    NE Georgia
    I will give it a try tonight, wish me luck:fl. Should i just clip the wings of the 2 girls that jump or all 4 of them?

9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Do them all.

10. PureFluff

PureFluff Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2010
    Otis, ORE
    Quote:My fences are 5ft, and we don't have much trouble with escapees once the wings are clipped.

I suppose. I don't own any yet so I haven't had any attempts, but for now I have a 7 foot wood fence in the front and a 6 foot wire fence around the back.
    My dog can still jump over either of them if he gets inspired. Then again, he's a boxer mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by