clipping wings

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jgilliatt, Sep 7, 2010.

1. jgilliatt

jgilliatt Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2010
    What are your thoughts on clipping wings?

2. fancy

fancy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    West Palm Beach, FL
    If they can fly out of their area into another that may not be safe, like predators or the road perhaps, then my vote is to clip. I lost 2 chicks (6 weeks old) because I didn't think they could fly over a 4 foot fence. We clip everyones wings now so they stay safe. I'm sure others will disagree, but for us this is what works!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  3. SJensen

SJensen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    South Surrey
    I clipped my chickens' wings to keep them safe -- our neighbors have big dogs and I couldn't have them flying into their yard. (Details on what we did on my blog in the December 2009 archives )

One thing to beware of: don't clip a "blood feather"! A feather that hasn't finished growing still has a blood vessel in the shaft -- if cut it can bleed a chicken to death! I unknowingly cut one of these and was worried sick for a week. Luckily the bleeding stopped and there were no complications.

4. churchx3

churchx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Georgia
    Quote:I clipped one wing on each of my chickens just to keep them off balance but several still managed to fly up and over a 6 ft fence. Unfortunately my dog got a hold of a couple of them but they did survive. Just last week I ended up going and buying some deer netting from TSC and putting that over their run. It is easy to work with and very lightweight. Don't depend on wing clipping alone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by