Clipping wings

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by monicaei, Apr 16, 2008.

1. monicaei

monicaei New Egg

Apr 11, 2008
    Hi!

Is there a way and appropriate age to clip a chickens wings? I dont want them flying all over the place and roosting somewhere I cant get to them. Is this common practice? Or even necessary? Can I do it myself?

2. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

3. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Clipping feathers can be done at any age as long as their are feathers on the wings.

Yes, it is a common practice for backyard keepers. It isn't wise for free-ranging birds because it limits their roost and escape options. If you plan on showing birds, I think you are not suppose to clip feathers.

Yes, it is something you can do yourself, and normally by yourself, depending on how tame your chickens are. If they are wild and crazy it may be easier(on you and the bird) to have someone hold while you trim.

-Kim

4. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    I clipped mine. Only took a minute or so. It's just like clipping fingernails or cutting hair.

Just clip the flight feathers. I also only clipped one wing. The thought is that if 1 wing gets flight & the other doesn't the birds balance will be thrown off & they can't get any height.

The birds I just brought home were totally free at the previous home & the lady said they could fly over a 6 foot fence (though I didn't see any 6 foot fences). I have a pen with a 5 foot fence & I don't think they have even tried to fly yet.

Point is, its easy - safe & doesn't hurt. Though you will have to repeat the procedure every time your birds molt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by