1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Clipping wings

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by melinda342, Jun 29, 2011.

1. melinda342

melinda342 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    East Texas
    Does it matter which feathers you clip? Pictures would be useful.

2. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    i have clipped just the first couple flight feathers on one wing - result was they still went where they wanted. I have gone to the extreme and clipped both wings back on most all the primary fight feathers - same result. Yo are not going to stop a chicken from flying over a fence if it wants too. just feed tehm well and keep the dogs away tehy will stay put. [​IMG]

3. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    If you go to youtube and type in chicken wing clipping there are quite a few videos that show you how many feathers to cut off and where to cut on the chickens wing to make it so they can't fly well.

4. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I clipped all of my chickens' wings earlier this spring-------they were flying out of the big free-range pen, and I lost 3 laying hens to my own dogs. Haven't had any of them able to do that since. I wish I had a picture for you. I just clipped them like I have clipped my parrot's wings.

5. equinelyn

equinelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    This is the video I referred to when I started clipping wings. I didn't have the person holding the bird hold them upside down, I had them cradle my bird like a baby and I pulled the wing out. They were calmer being held close to the body.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  6. melinda342

melinda342 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    East Texas
    Ok Thank You

7. equinelyn

equinelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    Oh ya I forgot to mention. Only clip one side. If you clip both, they can actually fly a little. I always clip the right side of my birds so I can check them over and see who grew them back quickly. I try to keep things consistent.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by