1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Clipping wings

Discussion in 'Quail' started by kajhurley, Oct 2, 2011.

1. kajhurley

kajhurley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Cooper, TX
    I have northern bobs that i will be using mainly for egg production and eating. Could i clip their wings so they will not fly off while i am tending them??

2. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    absolutly i dont see why not clipping wings is very easy thing to do even with untamed birds when clipping a struggling birds wings i find it easyier to just wrap there bodies in a towel while holdign hte wing outstretched
    [​IMG]

3. kajhurley

Jun 18, 2010
    Cooper, TX
    Thanks alot for the reply and the picture. Helps me alot. Never clipped quail but have clipped my chickens when they were in a low fenced area.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    They may still be able to fly. I have kept all sorts of parrots, larger than quail, smaller than quail and even with clipped wings, with a slight breeze they can still fly. So there is no guarantee they won't get away. And if they do get away, this will leave them vulnerable to predators.

5. Blob Chicken

Blob Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    With bobs ,clip the first 6 flight feathers and your good to go. Ten flights ,like in the picture ,is to much ,IMO.

6. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    Also remember those feathers grow back after each molt so this will be a yearly chore if you want to keep them clipped.

7. kajhurley

Jun 18, 2010
    Cooper, TX
    Thanks again with all the feedback.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by