Clipping Wings

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rmonge00, Mar 31, 2012.

1. rmonge00

rmonge00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi everyone,

I put up a 4-5 ft fence for my laying hens, but it is not keeping them out of the garden!! I think the easiest solution will be for me to clip their wings. I have looked at some youtube videos and it looks pretty simple. Is there anything that I should know before I do this? Is there a time of year when I shouldn't clip the wings?

Thanks for the help!!

Ryan

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Clipping wings is a relatively simple process, and it doesn't matter what time of the year you do it. I make sure I have a little flour handy to stop any bleeding from over clipping, but I've never had to use it. There are drawbacks to wing clipping, especially if you free range. It makes it quite difficult for a chicken to get away from predators without wings. Also, be warned, clipping their wings may not keep them contained. In my opinion, lighter bodied breeds still have no problem getting over a fence with clipped wings. Chickens can still jump pretty high without their flight feathers, so your 4-5 ft fence may not keep them in after theyre done. Good luck!

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    There is a how to in the "Learning Center" above.

I'll admit I have never done it, but someone that raised 50,000 turkeys at a time told me to make sure you only clip one wing, not both. I can only imagine what 50,000 white turkeys on pasture would look like.

The feathers grow back after each molt. Young chickens will molt twice before they reach adulthood, but after that, they should only molt once a year. You'll have to do it after each molt. And when they are growing back after a molt is when they are likely to bleed.

4. rmonge00

rmonge00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks Ridgerunner,

When do you know when they are molting?

Thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by