clipping wings?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kmatt87, Apr 16, 2012.

1. kmatt87

kmatt87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    I have close neighbors and have a couple chicks that already like to fly, perch and explore everything. Do any of you have to clip wings if you have chickens in a city? The neighbors behind me have had chickens in the past, so i don't think that they'd mind if one scooted over the fence(6ft tall privacy fence) and had to be retrieved. I'm not sure what one of them would think and the 3rd neighbor has stolen from us, so i don't care what they'd think. We didn't call the cops on them so they can't say a thing to me.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I don't live in the city, but I have to clip a couple of my girls wings. If I don't, they fly right over my 6ft chainlink fence and make a beeline for my flower beds. If I clip them, they stay in. One of them made me rearrange my whole run because she was using things to give herself a boost even after her wings were clipped. In my opinion, heavy breeds don't seem to try to get out. But bantams and light bodied breeds like leghorns are excellent fliers, and may continue to make a break for it whether their wings are clipped or not. I would try my hardest to keep them contained. What if they hop the fence one day and one of your neighbors dogs comes for a visit? And you already know your other neighbors have stolen from you, who's to say they wont take your chickens too- and if they're in their yard when they decide they want them...well, there may not be much you can do to get them back (P.S- your neighbors can also hold you responsible for any property damage your birds cause while they're visiting). Good luck.

3. Ashburnham

Ashburnham Chillin' With My Peeps

Best advice is to clip ONE wing only. This throws them off balance when they try to fly. If both wings are clipped they can adapt and compensate & still fly.

4. kmatt87

Apr 13, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    these neighbors wouldn't take my chickens because they won't be able to pawn them for anything. Thats the only reason that they'd want some.

5. kmatt87

Apr 13, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    thanks, i never would have thought of that.

Is clipping wings something that can be done at home if needed?

6. kmatt87

Apr 13, 2012
    Northern Colorado
  7. lindsay297

lindsay297 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2012
    Petawawa, Ontario
    Thanks just hatched.....I read your link and liked the info. Appreciate it!!

8. Darlie R

Darlie R New Egg

Apr 19, 2012
    Not so sure about the heavy breeds comments. I just watched my Black Aurstrolorpe clear my 6 ft Chain link fence.

9. lindsay297

lindsay297 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2012
    Petawawa, Ontario
    Well Darlie they can all surprise us!! I think most comments are based on averages!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by