Clipping Wings

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MelSoCity, Mar 18, 2013.

1. MelSoCity

MelSoCity Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    Is it necessary to clip my chicken's wings? if so, at what age do you recommend doing this? Thanks!

2. cinch920

cinch920 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Central Nebraska
    It's not necessary to clip their wings. I have a run for my birds that is not covered and I have had a couple younger birds fly over and get out. Clipping their wings prevents this. I let my birds free range when I'm home, but when I'm gone, I want and need them to stay in their run where it's safer for them. Remember though, if you clip both wings, it can make it hard for them to get up on the roost at night.

3. MelSoCity

MelSoCity Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    I hadn't planned on it until someone else mentioned the idea. Will they typically wander (fly) away form their coop. I plan to have mine in a run as well once they are big enough to be outside, but I also thought I'd let them explore the yard when I am home.

4. cinch920

cinch920 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Central Nebraska
    They will forage around their coop, but they shouldnt go too far. They should always come back to the coop when it starts getting dark. So flying off shouldnt be a problem. I wouldn't clip their wings unless you're having trouble keeping them in the fenced in area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by