Clipping wings

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by moodusnewchick, Aug 8, 2008.

1. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    If I clip the wings of: Jersey Giants, Buff Orpintons, Buckeyes and Delawares, how high can I still expect them to be able to jump? Does the clipping affect the balance of the jump or just the flight?
    thanks

2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    As you will see in most post most people advice against the clipping of wing feathers unless necessary.
    My first question would be with the breeds you have why would you need to wing clip? These breeds should not be capable of much flight at all.

If they are mature and you wing clip I would suspect that they would not be able to jump up more than 24-30 inches if that. I don't think I have ever clipped the wings of a heavy breed. If they are mature they will be heavy and will need all the help they can get to jump at least mine do.

Wing clipping throws them off balance.

If you find it necessary to wing clip just clip the flight feathers of one wing, personal preference. I think clipping the secondary feathers on a chicken takes away from their appearance IMHO

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  3. mainchick

mainchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    they are big birds that really don't get much lift do they? I clip the wings of the chickens that are at the shelter that I work at for safety's sake. They need to stay in the barnyard or the other animals(like the dogs) can get them. I cut all the feathers from the primaries to the secondaries to ensure thay can't get over the barnyard fence at all! Unfortunately, it makes them look less attractive. It's a bummer but it keeps them safe and sound.

4. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    i'm giving the chickens another run, this one is shorter b/c i don't need to walk in it, it's just for them to have more safe space to roam when I'm not home and can't let them free range. I know i need covering for predator protection, but I was hoping to let them in the run before i totally finish the covering...but if they're just going to hop out, there's no point. i'm really just curious b/c they fly and jump pretty high right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by