clipping wings?!?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 3littlechickies, Oct 22, 2013.

1. 3littlechickies

3littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2013
    Castro Valley, CA
    Hi

Today my 17wk old Easter Egger decided to fly on top of our 6 - 7 feet fence! I went outside to check on them and like a minute later I heard wings flapping and then I walked over and there she was on top of the fence! I think my heart stopped for a second! It felt like she was up there forever but it was probably only like 30 seconds or a minute. I lured her down with some food but I was so freaked out that she would go over to the other side. Do you think I should clip her wings? I was hoping that I would not have to. Is it normal for avian vets to do that or should I do it? And how do I clip them? Thanks so much! [​IMG]

2. PineShavings

PineShavings Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2013
    Tex
    I wouldn't be too worried, my rooster will climb up on the fence and crow now and then, but he knows to come down. I haven't clipped wings in years, but when I do I just clip one wing - so they can fly up to roost in their coop. Clipping both makes it easier for them flap when your're trying to grab and hold them. Just spread them and clip halfway so you don't catch their actual wing.

Maybe your chicken was curious, but it's embedded in them to climb up high like their ancestors.

1 person likes this.
  3. cypressdrake

cypressdrake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2012
    Thibodaux, Louisiana.
    You would only want to clip one wing. This will throw her off balance. If you clip both, in no time she'll be back flying the coop.
    The best way is to use a pair of scissors, and clip a little above half way up the last flight feather. You want to wait a moment and see if it bleeds, if it does, you know your clipping to high up. If this happens, just move down a bit (1/4 inch) and clip about 6 or 8 feathers.

I use this method on clipping my flying mallards. I have used it on chickens as well.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by