Clipping Wings?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fluffychicken24, Dec 5, 2013.

1. fluffychicken24

fluffychicken24 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2013
    The Shire
    Hey! Does anybody know if clipping the wings on my lame chicken would hinder its movement any further? Thank you!

2. Catfish267

Catfish267 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    I Don't Remember
    I clip my chickens wings. It works great!

3. fluffychicken24

Mar 23, 2013
    The Shire
    Okay, but will it make it harder for my crippled chick to move? She uses her wings a lot and I'm trying to get her usable leg stronger

4. BigRedRoo

BigRedRoo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    As hard as it may be; when my hen went lame I quoreteened her. Small cage little movement free axess to food and water but no hens causing her to move. Lots of rest is what this doc orders!

5. BigRedRoo

Nov 6, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    Cliping wings is intended to stop flying, thier for only one should be cut to off set the flight balance making it difficult or uncofortabel to fly

6. BigRedRoo

Nov 6, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    How the little girl holdin up? what happend to make her lame?

7. fluffychicken24

Mar 23, 2013
    The Shire
    She's not doing so good. She just hatched with a lame foot

8. Chickenlittle14

Chickenlittle14 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2014
    Sacramento, ca.
    She's still a bit lame. We made her a little splint to see if this helps her out. Now the other question is, I have to younger chickens, juvenile, and one is always hiding at bed time. She gets in the other yard and ends up in a tree. Now yesterday when we came home from the store and the red one was sitting on top of the fence. She's the trouble maker. Not wanting to clip her wings has had me going back and fourth, but after yesterday, I've come to the conclusion that it's wing or wings need to be clipped for her own good. I'm afraid if I don't the other chick is gonna follow in her step and start flying to the top of the fence and they'll both be out wondering the streets.

9. BigRedRoo

Nov 6, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    Just clip one wing this will make her off ballance as she trys to fly. Only clip the flight feathers and be sure that they have stoped growing before you do this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by