clipping wings

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Danyander, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Danyander

Danyander Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2015
    Oregon
    I have 3 black sex link, 1 gold sex link that are 5 weeks and 2 buff orpingtons that are 4 weeks. I am hoping to move them into their coop in the next couple weeks. They all have their feathers. Just wondering when is the best time to clip their wings. We have a 4 foot fence in the backyard and I don't want to risk them getting out when they are bigger and older.

Thank you.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'm afraid clippiing wings will not stop them if they want to get out badly enough. I would imagine most chickens can clear 4' with or without clipped wings. I have watched a determined Production Red climb my fence -- several times, actually.. She would sort of walk uo as she flapped her wings to stay in position. She would get out in about 20 seconds.

3. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    They're in the flying stage now, so now is a good time. That will start training them that the fence is not to be flown over. When they're full grown they'll be too heavy to do much flying.
    My run, pasture or whatever you want to call it has a 4' fence and my RIR and Marans don't fly over. They probably could walk or flap up it if they wanted to but it's full of green grass and juicy horse turds so they love it there.

4. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    That'a the best deterrent. I haven't had a chicken go over the fence in a couple of years because there are plenty of goodies in their yard, which is about 70' x 70'. We tried putting them in the garden after harvest. There was plenty of grass, bugs and leftover veggies, but the garden is smaller than their yaard, or maybe they just didn't like being in a new place with their usual one in view. One of them kept jumping/flying onto the garden shed roof then getting out, and the shed is 8' tall.

5. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    Yeah, unless you just got a bunch of chickens that 70x70 should keep them occupied & happily confined.

6. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    There are 14 at the moment. I have had about 50 in there, growing out for the freezer, mostly. It was never really crowded, even then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by