Cloaca small?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lizO, Sep 14, 2008.

1. lizO

lizO Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    I'm worried about one of my henlets. They are almost old enough to lay; GL Wyandotte (any day now) and two red "standard layers." One of the 2 layers has a much smaller cloaca than the others. She's from the same flock as the other red, but her comb is slower to come in and not as red. It's a VERY tiny opening. Her poops are smaller too. Should I worry? Is it a standard deviation and the first eggs will stretch it? (oh no, somebody's gonna say 'show me a picture....) : ) thank you!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Don't worry. Not all hens will lay at the same age. They all have their own developmental rate and maturity rate when they reach puberty and start laying. Less red comb and smaller physical traits just means later starter. Plus, once they start laying, their vents will extend along with the increasing size of eggs. Laying age is "20 weeks" for production types and mainly based on leghorns ment to be egg machines, where in reality, it can be anywhere between 16 and 24 weeks on "average" with late bloomers being as old as 7-8 months old before that first egg.

3. lizO

lizO Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    oh great. thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by