1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

clockwork goose

Discussion in 'Geese' started by hchap311, Dec 22, 2014.

1. hchap311

hchap311 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2014
    So I know I've asked a similar question. My goose screams in the middle of the night like clockwork. Every night at around 2,or 3 am and then again around 4:30 or 5:30am. I've totally reinforced his behavior because every time he does this I feed him and go back to bed. I'm fearing that my neighbors will be very unhappy because of the noise. Every onesaid bbefore it was because he was bored but he goes back to sleep after I feed him and I have increased his exercise time. Why does he do this? Any way I can keep him quiet all night? Thanks!

2. Nyssa03

Nyssa03 Chillin' With My Peeps

If you can leave water out for him, you could also leave food so he would ask for it in the night????? I'm not sure if that is what he is doing. Someone with more experience will answer, I hope. Is he alone??? Maybe he needs a companion just to keep him from getting lonely, bored during the night.

3. hchap311

Feb 28, 2014
    Thank you so much for your reply. He does have foid and water in his "crib". Lol. He's not alone , he sleeps in my room. Maybe its attention too? He seems to do it less if there's tv on.

4. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    When my goose sleeps in the room with me and it's dark, she needs to be in my bed so she can hear and/or fell me at all times (she wears a diaper). She doesn't feel safe just being near or even right next to the bed. She never screams - if she wants to wake me up, she climbs up on me and starts pulling on the duvet while softly honking. She only does that when she needs to lay an egg; I then get up and take her to the nest she built in the yard.

Bonus info: When she was little, she snuggled up in my face and actually put her tiny bill in my nostril.

1 person likes this.
  5. hchap311

Feb 28, 2014
    The goose girl:
    thank you for your reply. My goose sleeps on my bed with a diaper too! Lol. Its good to know I'm not the only one. ; ) . He still screams in the middle of yhe night, but much less if he's on the bed. Maybe he hasn't mastered that he can just chirp to wake me up. Anyway, I'm going to try leaving the tv on and see if that helps. Or setting my alarm to give him food. Thanks again.

6. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    Have you tried leaving some kind of night light on? Sometimes they get scared when it's pitch black in the room. Come to think of it, I often left the TV-screen on, no sound or picture, just for the light. My goose doesn't care for television, it scares her when things move around on the screen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by