1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Clogged chicks!?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chick1043, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Hi! I don't really know how to explain this, but I'll do my best. So I am raising my first hatch. They are 4 weeks tomorrow. They seem bigger than the other chicks I've raised. I know this is gross! Whenever I see them trying to poop it looks like they really try to push hard. Sometimes they even sit there a minute or two trying to poop. I'm wondering if they are clogged up on the inside. It's the only thing I could think of that sounds right.

2. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    Nothing possibly clogging up the works on the outside? Like poop sticking to the rear feathers?

3. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Quote:No. There is nothing AT ALL near their vents.

4. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Quote:No. There is nothing AT ALL near their vents.

Haha! Oops. I mean except fuzz. lol

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Check your temperatures. If they get overheated I have seen this happen- almost like they are constipated.

1st week of life 90-95 and decrease by 5 degrees per week until 70 degrees. Keep it up until fully feathered. Also check to see if they need more feeders and waterers (that they aren't being bullied away from them).

That's all I have for you right now! I hope it helps!

Also you might want to give them some grit if they are getting any food other than chick starter (or eating their shavings, lol).

6. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Quote:They're in a box with no shaving. I would put shavings but I don't want them eating it. Temperature is fine. I don't exactly know what degree but if anything it could use a degree up. But I think it's fine. I don't think they need more feeders and waterers. Not getting any other food than chick starter. I've tried to feed them some but they don't seem to like it! lol There is only five of them and for five of them their food and water dishes are pretty big..:\\ Thanks :)

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:They're in a box with no shaving. I would put shavings but I don't want them eating it. Temperature is fine. I don't exactly know what degree but if anything it could use a degree up. But I think it's fine. I don't think they need more feeders and waterers. Not getting any other food than chick starter. I've tried to feed them some but they don't seem to like it! lol There is only five of them and for five of them their food and water dishes are pretty big..:\\ Thanks :)

Hmmm...all sounds good! At 4 weeks though you can add shavings unless you are raising them on wire (which is kind of hard on their feet IMO). They say to put the paper towels over the shavings for just the first few days. Everyone has their own way of doing things though!

8. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho

Hmmm...all sounds good! At 4 weeks though you can add shavings unless you are raising them on wire (which is kind of hard on their feet IMO). They say to put the paper towels over the shavings for just the first few days. Everyone has their own way of doing things though!

Yeah I just put newspaper and a lot of paper towels. I should do the shavings now. I don't like it when people put their chicks on wire! It hurts their feet! Thanks anyways! :)

9. BunnyMomma

BunnyMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2010
    Olin, North Carolina
    You might need to start them on some chick grit if you haven't already. Also you can give them some applesauce, or tomato juice. That might get them moving in the right direction, if you know what I mean.
    Sometimes I mix applesauce with Ramen noodles. They love it!
    Hugs! Bunny

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    tomato juice is very high in sodium(salt) so I wouldn't use that -- maybe a little molassass in their food will help. Are they drinking enough water?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by