Clogged vent and vent prolapse?

Cindakins

Hatching
Mar 15, 2022
We noticed on Sunday our baby had a super dirty butt. We brought her inside and noticed her vent had prolapsed. My MIL came over and was able to clean her and push it back in and everything was fine. Yesterday we were worse than the original. Today I feel even though I have done everything I have seen online, and now I feel like I am just failing her. Sadly a vet is not an option at this time but we truly don’t want her to suffer.

The first pic is yesterday and second is todays as of a few minutes ago.

Today our daughter did get her to drink and eat some yogurt and food as long as she had it in her hand. And her spirits are a little higher but I truly just don’t know what to do. I push it in and she pushes it out after about 30 minutes and it sounds like something is stuck. I see the poop but I can’t get it out or gone. We have done soaks so much today I have lost count, tried warm compresses, a gentle massage, epsom salt, oil in a syringe, lube, Vaseline, honey. But nothing is helping her and I am just all sorts of stressed over it.

Anything else you can think of please let me know. I don’t feel any eggs but I believe she might be super constipated and I don’t know how to help her.

Attachments

• 18534AD1-8101-4C9A-8955-94B5F24F5F9F.jpeg
    18534AD1-8101-4C9A-8955-94B5F24F5F9F.jpeg
    386.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 07CC4160-BA0E-403E-9E36-1F5346EB76FE.jpeg
    07CC4160-BA0E-403E-9E36-1F5346EB76FE.jpeg
    354.7 KB · Views: 20
Please read this. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/

You have tried everything but the one thing that will help - calcium. Give her a calcium tablet immediately, and one each day as long as this crisis lasts.
Thanks. I forgot to mention we did get a tums and put it in some water but she wasn’t drinking it. Will try again this morning. We woke up to lots of poop in the bathtub so I am thinking a lot of stuff helped yesterday finally.

Tums is fine, but put it in the chicken, not the water. It needs to be undilted. She needs around 600mg immediately. Open the beak and shove half a tablet at a time into her mouth.

We noticed on Sunday our baby had a super dirty butt. We brought her inside and noticed her vent had prolapsed. My MIL came over and was able to clean her and push it back in and everything was fine. Yesterday we were worse than the original. Today I feel even though I have done everything I have seen online, and now I feel like I am just failing her. Sadly a vet is not an option at this time but we truly don’t want her to suffer.

The first pic is yesterday and second is todays as of a few minutes ago.

Today our daughter did get her to drink and eat some yogurt and food as long as she had it in her hand. And her spirits are a little higher but I truly just don’t know what to do. I push it in and she pushes it out after about 30 minutes and it sounds like something is stuck. I see the poop but I can’t get it out or gone. We have done soaks so much today I have lost count, tried warm compresses, a gentle massage, epsom salt, oil in a syringe, lube, Vaseline, honey. But nothing is helping her and I am just all sorts of stressed over it.

Anything else you can think of please let me know. I don’t feel any eggs but I believe she might be super constipated and I don’t know how to help her.
Last ditch effort, find some amoxicillin and orally syringe food and antibiotic. Use a prepared baby bird formula. I get antibiotics from tropical fish store. Remove any other foods. Confine to crate to monitor stools. Heat to compensate if bird is not eating. Their normal body temp is over 100 and must be maintained.
Do not use Vaseline orally.
If no antibiotic, force feed. Take the food to the crop, not just the mouth and fill the crop so it is slightly extended.

Last ditch effort, find some amoxicillin and orally syringe food and antibiotic. Use a prepared baby bird formula. I get antibiotics from tropical fish store. Remove any other foods. Confine to crate to monitor stools. Heat to compensate if bird is not eating. Their normal body temp is over 100 and must be maintained.
Do not use Vaseline orally.
If no antibiotic, force feed. Take the food to the crop, not just the mouth and fill the crop so it is slightly extended.
Feed twice a day

Back
Top Bottom