Clogged vent?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BigBen, May 26, 2011.

1. BigBen

BigBen Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Smithfield,RI
    Hello all, i have not been on in quite some time, but sure are glad your still here.
    One of my RIR hens started acting strange a few days ago...hanging out in the nesting box...roosting on the floor, staying close to the pen when let out to free range.
    I noticed yesterday that her backside was loaded with poop. today I put on a rubber glove and pulled at it and there is a bunch of it and it smells real bad. I probed around a little and really couldnt identify her vent. I am wondering if she has a buildup that is keeping her from pooping and leying eggs. I felt her crop and there was food in there and I watched her eating bugs, but I can tell there is something wrong. I have 9 RIRs and 1 barred rock. the girl im talking about is one of my largest and oldest at 3 years old. any info would be apreciated.

Goatpants likes this.
  2. buckboy101

buckboy101 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    You can take a damp cloth and wipe her vent to clear it up but just dont be to hard on it

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Soaking her rear end in warm water should loosen it up, otherwise use scissors to cut it out.

4. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Pasty butt at 3 years old? Is there a known cause for it in older chickens?

5. BigBen

Dec 29, 2008
    Smithfield,RI
    I picked her up yesterday and pulled at it and the smell made me gag. she seemed so unhappy. tonight she ventured around more that she has all week. how do you soak a chickens butt? they hate water. I thought maybe i would have to cull her, but my wife said she would hold her if i wanted to try and clean her up.

6. cellochck

cellochck Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2009
    Union, ME
    I'm having the exact same issue with one of my girls! I'm very interested in any ideas people have.

7. EggGardener

EggGardener Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    I'm having the same issue w/one of my three-year old sex-links. I'll be watching this thread, and I'll post again if I have any news.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Quote:you will be surprised how much a chicken likes a nice warm bath. and thats probably about the only way you'll get her completely clean. after you soak her in a nice warm bath, blow dry her on low. Then take some sharp sissors and trim those feathers around her vent so this won't build up again. I trim my girls feathers and it not only helps to keep them cleaner but you can see if anything is amiss back there better. Good luck and let us know how she is doing. If she is having gut issues you might want to feed her some kind of probiotic, good plain yogurt or buttermilk mixed into her feed or kefir. thats would get some probiotics into her.

Goatpants likes this.
  9. EggGardener

EggGardener Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    I took a closer look at my chicken and she has a prolapsed vent. Off to search for advice.[​IMG]

10. BigBen

Dec 29, 2008
    Smithfield,RI
    Now I have noticed one of my girls has no feathers back there. just a big red ball, I have no idea if its just that her feathers have fallen off or if she has a problem. today the whole bunch of them ate bugs in the woods all day...you'd never know what a mess they are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by