Cloning Mammoths in Japan

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by stanglover2001, Jan 17, 2011.

1. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    So, I was about to sign into my email and saw it on the main screen of Yahoo about Japan attempting soon to try to clone a mammoth. According to the article the Japs have already found a way to do it, they just have to get a sample of the mammoth... They want to recreate one (and possibly start breeding) to see why they became extinct and to study it. They said one will be attempted in the next 5 years by putting the nuclei into a elephant egg (after taking the elephant nuclei out) and having it put into an elephant uterus.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110117/wl_asia_afp/japansciencemammoth_20110117104445

I dunno about everyone else, but I think playing "God" is not a good thing. I believe if it went extinct, it was for a reason. JMO!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It's not common knowledge, but Mississippifarmboy is trying to clone Velociraptors at his clinic. He's putting velociraptor DNA into goose eggs.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I dont think they are playing god at all.
    I think it'd be very very cool to see one of these alive today... [​IMG]
    Thank god for scientific research! Its saved many many lives. Maybe even yours someday. [​IMG]

4. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    Quote:What kind of goose? I thought emu were pretty darn close. Just look in those scary orange eyes!

5. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    Quote:It's not nice to mess with mother nature. It's not smart either. Jurassic Park was a cautionary tale, we'd do well to listen.

We don't know what we don't know. And once we find out, it might be too late to undo it. Science and Technology can't save us from everything. Why don't we put our efforts, talents and resources to improving the lives and health of the species of animals and humans we already have?

6. WIChookchick

WIChookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Rural Brooklyn, WI
    If one does some research, most of the mammoth died due to human hunting.
    So perhaps recreating them or cloning one, would be a good idea.
    But you know, they just could create a robot of one, and it would be just as lifelike.

7. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:Every domestic animal and food crop we have today is the result of Man playing "God" with unnatural selection and or cloning, nearly all apple trees are cloned (I've done it myself for several of my orchard trees).
    I remember back in the 60's predictions of mass famine prior to the year 2000 due to population exceeding any possible food production increase-----then they invented things like F2 hybrids for crops, etc. now we are having to take even more quicker shortcuts with GMO to get production up. Maybe if they clone Mammoths, they will be the future "cows of the tundra". Can't wait to sink my teeth into a nice chunk of Mammoth backstrap, there had to be a reason we ate them to extinction once before.

8. RabbitMage

RabbitMage Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Quote:Jurassic Park was a Hollywood film without any sound science to back it up.

Bring on the mammoths!

9. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    i thought there was global warming going on,where are they going to live?
    we want to bring them back so we can kill them again.i mean,if a bunch of cavemen killed them with spears and rocks,i don't think they will last very long with shotguns and rifles.
    we don't even have enough room for our elephants.i have an old picture of a herd of elephants(about 100) and we will NEVER see that again.

personally i would be happy with more animals on the planet and fewer people.

10. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    My first thought was that they're just doing it so they can eat them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by