1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Close call-One Lucky Chicken

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by new chickie, Mar 14, 2007.

1. new chickie

new chickie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2007
    Today, since I was home all day with DH, we decided to let all the GH and chickens roam the yard, as the pen is so muddy.
    They weren't out but 5 mins. when a hawk struck...Stunned the chicken, and before he could attach my DH scared it away..by the time I got to her, she was laying on her side, still breathing, but one eye closed. I have her in the barn under a heat lamp with food and water...put some vits. in water...she's alert, but her one eye is still closed. Not sure if damaged.
    So lucky she's alive...if ok tomorrow I may put her back with the other.

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

OMG! That is one lucky chicken!
    If I were you, I'd look into building a chicken tractor. That hawk knows where to find lunch.
    Keep us updated on her progress.

3. AmyAnnette

AmyAnnette New Egg

Mar 12, 2007
    Does she having any bleeding from eye? Hopefully just a scratch, hopefully she will heal well. Good Luck with her recovery.

4. new chickie

Mar 4, 2007
    So far her eye is still closed, looks alittle sunken in ? no bleeding or discharge from eye or nose are, yesterday she had a spot of blood on her beak...

she seems to be ok, she's drinking and eating (not much) I have seperated, still, 'cause I'm pretty sure the others will peak her, so...
    I'm gonna tempt her with some grapes and cat food to get food into her...
    poor thing, she really sweet.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Poor thing. Good luck. Let us know how she turns out!

6. new chickie

Mar 4, 2007
    Well this am her eye was still closed, but this afternoon when I went out it was open! At first I thought OMG, what happened to her good eye, then she turned her head and looked at me with the "good eye". So far, still no bleeding, should I be giving antibotics? I have an ointment for the eye, but haven't put anything on it...or in her water, only vits.

7. Nervouschicken

Nervouschicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    phew...[​IMG][​IMG]

8. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Hope Lucky is alright.. Poor girl. This is my biggest fear "sigh"

9. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I'm so glad that she's alright! Maybe she just got the chicken equivalent to a black eye from being slammed into the ground by the hawk.

Extra hugs for your DH

10. vclark321

vclark321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Bonney Lake
    Wow! One lucky chicken! You and your husband to quick to react and fight off the hawk. That is my fear! I hope baby girl is doing good. Let us know how she is doing. I have a chicken tractor I move around the yard, but keep it under the tree canopy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by