Close Call That Requires Some Alteration

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Oobhakeb, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Oobhakeb

Oobhakeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2010
    Lancaster, Kentucky
    The girls usually finish free ranging and go in the run of their coop right around sundown but it takes them 20-30 more minutes to all go upstairs. Went outside lastnight to make sure they all made it up there (sometimes they close the door on the others and they will wait on the ramp) My cochin is indeed waiting on the ramp so I open the main door to let her in and to my horror, Lucille my RIR's head is caught under the closed pop door!!!!! I immediately open it and she makes a fuss "bak, bak, bak!!!" and runs over to the opposite corner staying clean away from the corner where the pop door is. For some reason they all like to pile in that corner and cram behind the open door and I have even noticed them roosting on the door whens its open. So, I have no idea how long she had her neck compressed but apprently it wasnt long enough to kill her because besides being a little upset about it, she seemed perfectly normal this morning. I got up in the coop and grabbed her even though she was reluctant and checked her neck, etc. Besides looking a little "fluffy" it seemed fine. Guess Im gonna have to get my honey to put a latch to hold the door open. So glad I went back out lastnight or things probably would not have turned out as well.

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

It is a good thing that you went down there, because if she would of been under there for to long it could have eventually cut off all circulation and killed her.[​IMG]

3. Oobhakeb

Oobhakeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2010
    Lancaster, Kentucky
    Quote:Yes, with one chicken already ill, I would have been devastated to losing one due to that. Silly birds....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by