Close call this AM

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cpchicks, Aug 29, 2010.

1. cpchicks

cpchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    I have a Barred Rock bantam hen that has hatched and raised several nests of eggs for me. Her latest chicks are now 5 week old. They love scratching around in my garden. When they hear me approaching the coop they jump over each other to get near the door so they can dart out when I open it. Mom is protective and has taught them different calls for trouble from above and on the ground. She even has them trained to wait when I give them something new as a treat. She tells them to wait while she tests it and then gives the OK and they dive in. Impressive. Well, back to this morning......Within half an hour after I let them out I heard a commotion. My layers were upset. It wasn't the usual "come look, I've layed and egg". It was an emergency! I ran out of the house to see a coyote running away. I went to the coop to look for Lucky and her chicks. It seemed like an eternity but slowly one by one the six chicks appeared from different directions. They jumped up on the fence and huddled together, quietly not making a peep while I looked for their mother. I looked all around the coop and noticed that two of my sunflowers had been knocked over, and found a little pile of Lucky's feathers. My heart sank. I felt so bad. I would have given anything to start the day over. [​IMG] I don't usually let my chickens out so early but the chicks are getting big and feeling confined in their coop; I'm planning to move them to the big coop with the layers in about a week. We haven't heard or seen a coyote since last winter. My concern lately has been more about hawks than coyotes, so I guess I let down my guard. [​IMG] Well, there is a happy ending.............four hours later, my husband saw Lucky coming from about 100 yards away! She was walking, but we know she can fly so we assume she flew some distance and had a long walk home! Either that or she was hiding out until she was sure the coast was clear. Needless to say, we were all glad to see her and it was cute to watch the other chickens and her chicks welcome her back. [​IMG] They had been worried, too! Now I know why I named her Lucky. [​IMG]
    Cheryl
    Lucky Cluckers Resort
    Northern CA

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    So glad to read the mom and chicks survived.Hopefully you can get the coyote before he does any harm.

3. Slinkytoys

Slinkytoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Black Forest
    I'll bet she went after the coyote, then drew him away from her babies. Yea for Lucky!! [​IMG]
    Slinky

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Watch out! He will be back.

5. cimarron

cimarron Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Central Tejas
    Whew...that was a nail-biter! I thought for sure Lucky was a goner, but am glad she made it through. Sounds like a good mama to have breeding.

6. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    So nice to hear a story like this with a happy ending!

7. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    So glad it worked out well!!

8. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Lucky is very lucky!!!

9. JROOSTER

JROOSTER Chillin' With My Peeps