Close call with a hawk

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by andythescot, Nov 6, 2010.

1. andythescot

andythescot Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Central Mass
    Luckily I was nearby when I heard my EE screaming, I ran outside just in time to stop either a big female cooper's hawk, or a male goshawk from a chicken dinner. The other chickens were all hiding on the other side of the yard. She probably finished laying an egg and squawked to find the others... and helping the hawk find her. I got all the chickens to go into the covered run, but the hawk is still nearby, I can hear him/her.

GAH! I guess this mean's they'll have to stay where its covered for a while, huh?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I know what you mean- I have been sneaking some free ranging in during the evening even though I know better- too many hawks.

The hawks around here just DROOL over the chickens. [​IMG]

3. chickanddoglvr

chickanddoglvr Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2010
    Cincinnati Oh
    I live in Cincinnati OH and thank god i dont have any hawk problems. They can be pretty bad because they do the deed in the day. I only have to worry about racoons at night.

4. andythescot

andythescot Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Central Mass
    This one really caught me off guard though, because the only hawks we usually get around here are big red tails, and since we have an EXTREMELY high crow population around here, they usually just pass though.

If there is a hawk, the crows all alarm and drive it away, but this one was very well camouflaged, and apparently very sneaky. Its just a relief no one was hurt.

5. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

I lost a my little frizzle yesterday, to a Broad Winged hawk. They migrate this time of year and are seen in large numbers, overhead. Beware! I have two large dogs who are out with the chickens most of the day. Because of that, I was not too worried about predators. Apparently, the hawk waited until I let the dogs in to attack. I am leaving the others locked in the run for a few days, until the hawks move south.

6. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Whew...good thing you were out there. Hawks are my worst predator by far when I allow them to free range or out on the open lot.

7. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Ya we have had a similar problem. He hasn't taken anyone yet BUT he has been spotted on the fence in there run twice now that i know of. I really want to let them out of there run for a little while at then end of the day but im too scared to cause of the coyotes and hawks. [​IMG] I dont want any of my babies to get taken away. [​IMG] I have only lost one and that was my fathers fault, and she was only 2 weeks old so i wasn't to attached. But they are alot older and i am attached to them. What to do what to do.

8. LauraG

LauraG Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Upstate, NY
    Oh man this just happened to me today...
    Chickens out free-ranging and enjoying some stale bread I threw to them when all hell broke loose...

Thank GOD he didnt get one.
    When I heard the raquet, I turned to look out my front door, for some reason I thought Id see a dog or something, but a hawk flew right by my front door at eye level. I ran out, the chickens were freaking, my poor babies, and didnt see it again. I put them all in the coop, those who were frozen in fear, and could pick up. 2 bolted for the coop immediately.

I was crying, this was so scarey. this was at 3:30 in the afternoon

I ususally have crows cawwing all the time, but not a freakin sound today

Hawks migrate?? I didnt know this

9. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:Thank goodness he didn't take one and you where fast to react and put them away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by