1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Close call with a hawk

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cknmamajen, Nov 25, 2011.

1. cknmamajen

cknmamajen New Egg

May 23, 2011
    Yesterday, the family was over celebrating Thanksgiving......and my oldest (20) son comes running into the house screaming that a hawk just took one of my welsummer pullets into the pine tree. I go to see the expected "carnage" and spot the hawk in the front of our property with my pullet. Knowing that the pullet is pobably already dead I didn't really know what I should do. My son comes running up with his hunting rifle and pops off a shot to scare the hawk off (yes I know that they are potected and would not let him shoot at it), ......the hawk drops the pullet and flys away. Much to my suprise, the pullet is not dead and has only a few puncture wounds. My question is, one of the wounds looks like it may have punctured a lung or something as she has an air filled "bubble" about 2"by 2" on her right side above the wing.Does anyone know what it might be? Could she survive with a punctured lung???? I applied bluekote to the wounds and she is eating, drinking, and scrtaching around with the other pullets. She seems "sore" and a little cautious, but otherwise fine. Anyone have a similar experience?

2. Hennypen

Hennypen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    You may want to take her to the vet and get an injectible antibiotic. If she's got punctures, she's most likely going to get infected.

3. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    Apart from echoing the advice of cknmamajen, I don't have any help to offer, just sincere wishes that she recovers.

4. cknmamajen

cknmamajen New Egg

May 23, 2011
    Thanks. I did give her an injectable antibiotic 1/2 cc for three days tylan 50. I hope that works. She seems just fine today, but the bubble is still there.???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by