Close call with our Bo!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Godiva, May 28, 2010.

1. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Day before yesterday my DH went into the coop to do the chores and found Bo hanging from the chicken wire! He is a large cochin and very feathery so it took a while to figure out where he was hung up, but he and Little Red Prince Zane had been scrapping through the fence and his spur (really long and curved) had got caught in the fencing and he couldn't get loose. I shudder to think what could have happened as a result... but he seems ok. He is limping and can't run at his usual speed when chasing an errant hen, but he has switched to a double footed hop which gets him around pretty fast anyway. I think the muscles must be rather sore, but within a few minutes of being set free he was crowing again, even with a gimpy leg. He is the most wonderful roo so I am VERY relieved that he seems to be ok.

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They can sure get themselves into predicaments, can't they? My BR rooster's spur was somehow caught on some fencing and he lost the entire spur at the root, so it won't ever grow back.

3. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I think we are going to have to figure out how to trim these spurs but I am very nervous about how to do it...

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I use a dremel tool, which cauterizes as it cuts through, but you need someone to hold the legs so nothing else gets cut. Some twist them off, but that leaves the inner spur which can harden and be sharp as an ice pick and will also have to be removed eventually.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by