Close call with rotten egg ready to POP in bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by claud, Apr 19, 2009.

1. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Wow. There was an egg in my bator that was questionable. I kept candling to see if I could make out what was going on in there(they're dark eggs - hard to see).
    Well, I finally decided it was a no-go - though something was developing in there.
    I took it out to the field and tossed it and POP - it was way rotten. Sooooooooo glad I took it out! Whew!

2. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    how long did you leave it in the bator?? I have 3 of 6 that didn't hatch last night and early this morning, think I might throw it out tomorrow after work??? just wondering how long you left it in???

3. claud

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Quote:This is day 15. Too long I think but I couldn't decide if it was a chick developing or what in there. I have a couple other questionables too [​IMG]

4. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Your lucky it didn't pop until you had it outside. I had one that I took out of the bator somewhere around day 13-14, and as soon as I set it on my counter (I was putting it down to candle the rest) it exploded. Talk about STINK!!!! It was disgusting!!!!!!

5. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    Day 15???? they don't hatch until day 21??? I'm confused...sorry, but you have to leave them in for at least 21 days right????

6. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    they pop in the incubator if you leave the bad eggs in and so you have to take them out no matter the day...cause if they explode inside the incubator it could cause the rest of the eggs to get some bacteria or something and that would not be good...its better safe than sorry...i always make sure that if i have an egg that is questionable i move it away from the rest in the bator...but after i know its not viable i take it out...

7. claud

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Quote:Yes, as soon as I was pretty sure it wasn't viable I took it out. Good thing too!

8. claud

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Quote:Oh, yuck! That's what I was afraid of. When I took it out I put it in an egg carton and closed the lid - just in case.

9. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Oy!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by