Close call

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by DWH, Nov 17, 2009.

1. DWH

DWH Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2009
    Just about 10 minutes ago tonight a big white mutt was in my yard and our little (piece of nothing) dog just sat there an wagged it's tail![​IMG][​IMG]

2. DWH

DWH Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2009
    How do I stop this?

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Depends on the laws in your area. Fencing is always a good idea.

4. DWH

DWH Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2009
    o.K.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Do you know who owns it?

6. DWH

DWH Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2009
    No

7. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I would like to be able to have my chickens running loose all over my yard and eat all the bugs and grass they want, but really....its not going to happen. I have lost chickens to dogs, cats, coons, opossums, coyotes, mailtrucks, chicken hawks, owls and minks. What most of the topics and posts eventually say about you need a Fort Knox is true. I have one. Its probably my 7th coop in my adult life, but I finally got it right.....thankyou DH. Now if I can have my yard almost as protected as my coop, I would be able to turn the birds loose every now and then.

8. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Hopefully, it won't come back. Free ranging has a lot of benefits, lower feed bills, bug control without chemicals, happy chickens, etc. It's a shame that people let their dogs roam and put other people's animals at risk. When a loose dog kills chickens on the chicken owner's property, 100% of the fault is with the dog owner.

9. DWH

DWH Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2009
    I've already lost my favorite rooster and dogs seem horrible. And they are! people just letting their dogs pack up and run around. You know dogs are predatory and everything they know means nothing to thm when they pack. They could just as easily bite one of us on the neck and kill us![​IMG][​IMG] I'm sorry I'm being mean about dogs some of them are good.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  10. jenni2142

jenni2142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South Carolina
    check your county laws. i am outside of town limits but there is a county law which states the dog owners MUST have control of their dogs at ALL times, by fence, leash, or structure. dogs worrying birds can be shot. law here actually encourages it, we have wonderful deputies and an understanding judge. it is always good to know your rights.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by