close call!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Sandy16, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Sandy16

Sandy16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Atlanta
    OK....just a short while ago, I heard a strange noise from the backyard and looked out at the girls. All 6 were in one corner of their run, frantically moving back and forth. I go out there to see what is causing the disturbance and realize that a HAWK is in the covered run with them! Poor girls! Thankfully no one was hurt and after some effort, I got the hawk to fly out of the run. I think that the hawk was as traumatized as the girls were!!! It was a fairly small hawk (and quite beautiful, I have to admit) and I'm guessing it was a coopers hawk or possibly a sharp shin. We have only had string and bird netting to cover the run but after this, we are going to add secure chicken wire. Somehow the hawk got in the run between the bird netting and the edge of the fence. We have a lot squirrels that like to hang out inside and outside of the run, so possibly the hawk was going after a squirrel and then got caught inside the run?

Question - will the hawk remember the encounter and stay away or will it just be back and look for another opportunity? Of course, there will be no free ranging for a while in case the hawk decides to come back for another opportunity.

thoughts? ideas? I'm just thankful that everyone escaped unhurt!

thanks, S

2. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    I dont know the deminsions of your run but we've used a tarp before and zipped tied it down, worked beautifully! I'm glad all was ok.

3. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    So glad everyone is ok. Good work:thumbsup

4. Sandy16

Jul 28, 2010
    Atlanta
    well, the run is now covered with chicken wire instead of bird netting. I really like the idea of a tarp....that would also keep them dry when it rains!

5. Stonerowfarm

Stonerowfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Cheshire, MA
    Quote:Is there still an area where they can sun themselves? I thought of trying a tarp on my smaller runs (I also worry about things getting caught in the netting and wire) but the girls love to take sun bathes.

OP - glad your girls were okay. Hope they got extra treats for their frightening experience [​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Chances are that if hungry enough, the hawk will give it another try. I once removed a GHO from one of my pigeon lofts. The very next evening he was back trying to gain access to the buffet.

7. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Quote:Is there still an area where they can sun themselves? I thought of trying a tarp on my smaller runs (I also worry about things getting caught in the netting and wire) but the girls love to take sun bathes.

OP - glad your girls were okay. Hope they got extra treats for their frightening experience [​IMG]

The tarp provides shade but as the day wears on the shadow moves so they get sun too. It does help to keep the run dry but when a down pour occurs nothing can stop the run from getting soaked.

8. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Gosh, I'm just surprised all the time by these posts. I just never thought that a hawk would go after a chicken. Maybe a bantum but not a full sized bird.
    My plan had been to let me girls free range but after hearing others stories, they are going to have to stay in their secure run.

I'm so glad your girls are okay. They deserve some extra treats and love today.

9. Sandy16

Jul 28, 2010
    Atlanta
    The girls got extra treats today - spinach, yogurt, rice and BOSS, and actually gave us some eggs! I thought for sure that they'd be a bit too 'puckered' to lay eggs today. [​IMG]

SpiceGirls, this is the second encounter we've had with a hawk (no one hurt last time either, knock on wood) but we still give them some free ranging time each day. Usually an hour or two if possible. I know that there is always a possibility of an attack, but they really do enjoy being able to rome around the yard and find bugs and such. When the weather is warm, I like to sit out in the yard with them and read. Perhaps you will be able to give them some supervised free ranging time. They will enjoy it and you will be so entertained watching and listening to them!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by