Close call!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ChickieBooBoo, Apr 17, 2011.

1. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I nearly had a heart attack this morning when I walked into the brooder house where all my chicks and Button quail are. I was scooping into the water bucket to water the chicks and one of my little Buttons was floating on top! She must have somehow gotten out of the pen during the day and fell in. I thought she was dead she I reached in to pick her up and she moved! Turns out she was just floating on top and her feathers had prevented her from sinking! I brought her in the house and blow dried her, then put her in her own little pen. This afternoon I went to check on her and she was acting normal again, even laid an egg! I'll get pics tomorrow of my little baby

2. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Yesterday evening I was sitting in the building where they are and my cinimon blue faced female, squeezes out of her cage, flys into the nest with my broody sebright, lays an egg, then jumps in the water dish and floats there until I take her out. She seems to enjoy it, just floating there in the warmish water, maybe she's a duck at heart? [​IMG]

3. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

That's kind of scary...sounds like an accident waiting to happen to me! Be careful. TErri O

4. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    She seems to be ok with it, her feathers don't seem to soak up the water and make her sink. And the water is warm so she doesn't get too cold, the sebright hen also seems to enjoy her company. I should get a pic of them

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Someone on here had posted before about coturnix or buttons having a water bath instead of a sand/dirt bath. I think they like either, maybe you should put a small water dish in their pen and see if they like it?

6. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I'll try that shelley, I'm worried about her being in the water bucket all day while I'm away. She can't get out once she gets in and I don't want to lose her. She's such a sweet girl, everyone always talks about buttons being wild and not friendly but she eats from my hand and lets me pick her up. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by